Decoding Israeli Dress
- 14 Jun 2018 - 06 Apr 2019
- Curators: Daisy Raccah-Djivre (Curator-in-charge), Efrat Assaf-Shapira, and Noga Eliash-Zalmanovich, Tamara Yovel-Jones (initiator and consultant)
- Bella and Harry Wexner Gallery
Based on pioneering research, Fashion Statements surveys a century of dress in Israel. The exhibition explores the late 19th-century indigenous pre-Zionist “fashion,” the opposing forces of Europeanism and Orientalism that converged in the early decades of the state, and, finally, the place that Israeli creativity holds on the global fashion scene today.
Through a sumptuous display of clothing, fashion sketches, films, and fashion photography, this large-scale exhibition illustrates the broad scope of fashion in Israel, from its deepest historical roots to contemporary collections, fostering a dialogue about tradition and modernity, myth and reality, and conflicting ideologies.
Presenting a rich, quintessentially local narrative, the exhibition is part of the Israel Museum's ongoing exploration of this region's cultural landscape.
The Application Zeekit (chameleon) will turn you into fashion models
Download the application and see yourself in the outfits in the exhibition
Fini Leitersdorf for Maskit, Desert coat, 1960
Photo: Eli Posner
Rojy Ben-Joseph, Woman's dress and cape, 1973-4
Photo: Elie Posner
Muslin Brothers, Tamar Levit, Yaen Levi, FUGA collection, 2016, Photograph: Assaf Eini
- Jun 27Jul 04Jul 11Jul 18Jul 25Aug 01Aug 08Aug 15Aug 22Sep 05Sep 12Sep 19Sep 26
- Jul 02Jul 09Jul 16Jul 23Jul 30Aug 06Aug 13Aug 20Aug 27Sep 03Sep 10Sep 24