Decoding Israeli Dress
- 14 Jun 2018 - 06 Apr 2019
- Curators: Daisy Raccah-Djivre (Curator-in-charge), Efrat Assaf-Shapira, and Noga Eliash-Zalmanovich, Tamara Yovel-Jones (initiator and consultant)
- Bella and Harry Wexner Gallery
Based on pioneering research, Fashion Statements surveys a century of dress in Israel. The exhibition explores the late 19th-century indigenous pre-Zionist “fashion,” the opposing forces of Europeanism and Orientalism that converged in the early decades of the state, and, finally, the place that Israeli creativity holds on the global fashion scene today.
Through a sumptuous display of clothing, fashion sketches, films, and fashion photography, this large-scale exhibition illustrates the broad scope of fashion in Israel, from its deepest historical roots to contemporary collections, fostering a dialogue about tradition and modernity, myth and reality, and conflicting ideologies.
Presenting a rich, quintessentially local narrative, the exhibition is part of the Israel Museum's ongoing exploration of this region's cultural landscape.
The Application Zeekit (chameleon) will turn you into fashion models
Download the application and see yourself in the outfits in the exhibition
Fini Leitersdorf for Maskit, Desert coat, 1960
Photo: Eli Posner
Rojy Ben-Joseph, Woman's dress and cape, 1973-4
Photo: Elie Posner
Muslin Brothers, Tamar Levit, Yaen Levi, FUGA collection, 2016, Photograph: Assaf Eini
- Nov 23Nov 30Dec 07Dec 14Dec 21Dec 28Jan 04Jan 11Jan 18Jan 25
- Oct 08Oct 15Oct 15Oct 22Oct 29Nov 05Nov 12Nov 19Nov 26Dec 17Dec 24Dec 31
- Oct 08Oct 15Oct 22Oct 29Nov 05Nov 12Nov 19Nov 26Dec 17Dec 24Dec 31
- Oct 26Dec 28
- Oct 11Oct 25Nov 08Nov 22Dec 13Dec 27