Decoding Israeli Dress
- 14 Jun 2018 - 06 Apr 2019
- Curators: Daisy Raccah-Djivre (Curator-in-charge), Efrat Assaf-Shapira, and Noga Eliash-Zalmanovich, Tamara Yovel-Jones (initiator and consultant)
- Bella and Harry Wexner Gallery
Based on pioneering research, Fashion Statements surveys a century of dress in Israel. The exhibition explores the late 19th-century indigenous pre-Zionist “fashion,” the opposing forces of Europeanism and Orientalism that converged in the early decades of the state, and, finally, the place that Israeli creativity holds on the global fashion scene today.
Through a sumptuous display of clothing, fashion sketches, films, and fashion photography, this large-scale exhibition illustrates the broad scope of fashion in Israel, from its deepest historical roots to contemporary collections, fostering a dialogue about tradition and modernity, myth and reality, and conflicting ideologies.
Presenting a rich, quintessentially local narrative, the exhibition is part of the Israel Museum's ongoing exploration of this region's cultural landscape.
The Application Zeekit (chameleon) will turn you into fashion models
Download the application and see yourself in the outfits in the exhibition
Fini Leitersdorf for Maskit, Desert coat, 1960
Photo: Eli Posner
Rojy Ben-Joseph, Woman's dress and cape, 1973-4
Photo: Elie Posner
Muslin Brothers, Tamar Levit, Yaen Levi, FUGA collection, 2016, Photograph: Assaf Eini
- Oct 26Dec 28
- Oct 16
- Aug 14Oct 02
- Jul 05Jul 19Aug 02Aug 09Aug 23Sep 06Sep 20
- Jul 12Jul 26Aug 16Aug 30Sep 13
- Jul 10Jul 18Aug 01Aug 07Aug 28Sep 05
- Jun 27Aug 08Sep 04
- Aug 14Aug 21Aug 28Sep 04
- Jul 27Jul 28Aug 03Aug 04Aug 10Aug 11Aug 17Aug 18Aug 24Aug 25Aug 31