This object is part of a series that demonstrate the early style of the Wiener Werkstätte (Vienna Workshop), a community of artists, architects and designers established in 1903. The founders, who included Hoffman, Gustav Klimt, and Koloman Moser, wished to realize a new approach to uniting handcraft and art. The items in the series demonstrate Hoffman’s quest for simplicity and functionality. The Wiener Werkstätte was considered a radical movement in its time; its objectives would later become key principles of the Bauhaus and modernism.
The Design and Architecture Collection, Selected Works, Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 25/07/2010 - 31/12/2010