Close
Close

Accessibility

Interface

Adjust the interface to make it easier to use for different conditions.

Fruit bowl

Fruit bowl

Austrian, 1870−1956

Fruit bowl

Manufactured by Bieffeplast S.p.A., Padua, Italy

Painted metal, 1986

H: 9.5 cm

Gift of the manufacturer

Accession number:

B86.0811

Arts/Design and Architecture

This object is part of a series that demonstrate the early style of the Wiener Werkstätte (Vienna Workshop), a community of artists, architects and designers established in 1903. The founders, who included Hoffman, Gustav Klimt, and Koloman Moser, wished to realize a new approach to uniting handcraft and art. The fruit bowl seen here, along with other items in the series, demonstrates Hoffman’s quest for simplicity and functionality. The Wiener Werkstätte was considered a radical movement in its time; its objectives would later become key principles of the Bauhaus and modernism.

Exhibitions:

The Design and Architecture Collection, Selected Works, Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 25/07/2010 - 31/12/2010