Close
Close

Accessibility

Interface

Adjust the interface to make it easier to use for different conditions.

Three coats of arms of Sir Hugh Wake over a royal Fatimid building inscription

Three coats of arms of Sir Hugh Wake over a royal Fatimid building inscription

Three coats of arms of Sir Hugh Wake over a royal Fatimid building inscription

Marble, carved and painted

H: 63; L: 149; D: 8 cm

Israel Antiquities Authority
IAA:

1995-3731

Archaeology/Islamic Art & Archaeology

This plaque attests to the upheavals experienced by the city of Ashkelon over the course of a century of war. While the Arabic inscription commemorates the construction of the defensive wall built by the Fatmids againt the Crusaders in 1150, the coats of arms Sir Hugh Wake of County Lincoln in England carved over it to attest to the 1241 Crusader restoration of the city's fortifications as protection against the Muslims.

The inscription relates that in the year 1150, during the days of the Fatimid Sultan al-Zafir, a tower was built (in Ascalon) by the order of the Grand Vizer of Cairo. Construction was carried out by the governor and qadi (judge) of Ascalon. The inscription contains the titles and honorifics of these officials, along with prayers and blessings.

From the Israel Museum publications:

Sharon, M., A New Fatimid Inscription from Ascalon and its Historical Setting. 'Atiqot 26: 61–86., 1995

Rozenberg, S. (ed.), Knights of the Holy Land: The Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 1999

Chronicles of the Land, Archaeology in the Israel Museum Jerusalem, Dayagi-Mendels Michal, and Rozenberg, Silvia (eds.), The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, Jerusalem, 2010

Exhibitions:

Ashkelon: A Retrospective - 30 Years of the Leon Levy Expedition, Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 10/07/2016 - 05/08/2017