Close
Close

Accessibility

Interface

Adjust the interface to make it easier to use for different conditions.

Hebrew seal:

Hebrew seal:

Hebrew seal:

"[Belonging] to Eliashib son of Eshyahu"

Agate

L: 1.3; W: 0.6; Th: 0.9 cm

Israel Antiquities Authority
IAA:

1967-1164

Archaeology/Israelite & Persian Periods

This seal is part of the archive of Eliashib son of Eshiyahu, commander of the fortress on Judah’s southern border. The archive findings include Eliashib’s personal seals, as well as a rich collection of letters pertaining to army, administration, and the supply of food and equipment. The letters were written on potsherds in ancient Hebrew script, using biblical Hebrew.

From the Israel Museum publications:

Hestrin, Ruth, Israeli, Yael, Meshorer, Yaakov, Eitan, Avraham, Inscriptions reveal: Documents from the time of the Bible, the Mishna and the Talmud, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 1973, English / Hebrew

Hestrin, Ruth, Dayagi-Mendels, Michal, Inscribed Seals: First Temple Period, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 1978/9