Photo © The Israel Museum, Jerusalem
“Elbow” column and smooth-leaf capital
St. Mary of the Germans, Jerusalem
Crusader Period, 12th century
Limestone
H: 25; W: 31; D: 51 cm
Israel Antiquities Authority
Accession number: IAA 1994-1598
 
 
The "elbow" column is a Crusader innovation that intergrates two different methods of architectural support: the column, which transfers the weight of the roof to the foundations of the structure, and the corbel, or bracket, which shifts it to the thickness of the wall. This type of column is characteristic of Crusader architecture in Jerusalem and was commonly decorated with smooth-leaf patterns.

Publications:
Rozenberg, S. (ed.), Knights of the Holy Land: The Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 1999

Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir