Photo © Israel Museum, Jerusalem, by Avraham Hay
Bronze cross-pendants decorated with circles
From tombs at different places, Israel
6th-7th century
Bronze
H: ca. 3 cm
Israel Antiquities Authority
Accession number: IAA 1931-317, 1949-1053, 1949-1105, 1970-1997, 1998-2495, 1999-3863, 1999-3868
 
 
Crosses were commonly worn as jewelry, the functions of which were two: to beautify and protect from harm. The most common type in the Holy Land during the Byzantine period was a small bronze pendant decorated with circles. Many crosses of this type were discovered in tombs, where they were presumably placed along with personal belonging of the deceased.

Publications:
Israeli, Yael, and Mevorach, David, Cradle of Christianity, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 2000, English / Hebrew

Exhibition:
Cradle of Christianity, Israel Museum, Jerusalem, Weisbord Exhibition Pavilion, 28/03/2000 - 30/01/2001

Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir