Fishach, Southern Germany
Second half of the 19th century
Oil on wood
H: 200; W: 290; L: 290 cm
Gift of Abraham and Sofie Deller, Fischach, Germany, through Dr. Heinrich Feuchtwanger, Jerusalem; Restoration made possible by their grandson Alberto Deller and Frida Klein-Deller, Quito, Ecuador, in memory of their son Pierre Philippe Deller Klein, and in honor of their grandchildren: Alexis and Adriel, Samantha, Harrison and James, and Aaron and Natalie
Accession number: B05.0006 ; 196/001
In the 19th century, Naftali and Zili Deller commissioned a local painter to paint the walls of their sukkah. Their son Abraham Deller and his wife Sofie erected the sukkah in the courtyard of their home in Germany every year until the Nazis came to power. In 1937 the sukkah was smuggled out of Germany and delivered to the Bezalel Museum in Jerusalem.
The central wall features a painting of Jerusalem with the Western Wall at its hub. This painting was copied from a lithograph by 19th-century Jerusalem artist Yehosef Schwartz. The other walls contain pictures of the village of Fischach and people from that period: on the right is Zili Deller waiting at the entrance to her home; on the back wall is the local baron, the patron of the village Jews, setting out to hunt. Painted within small frames in the background of the central and right-hand walls are depictions of Jewish holidays copied from prayer books printed in Sulzbach, Germany, in 1826.
Sarfati, Rachel, A Movable Feast: Sukkahs from Around the World, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 2003, English / Hebrew
Zalmona, Yigal, ed., The Israel Museum at 40: Masterworks of Beauty and Sanctity, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 2005
The Israel Museum, Publisher: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 2005
Beauty and Sanctity: the Israel Museum at 40. A Series of Exhibitions Celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 2006
A Movable Feast: Sukkahs from Around the World, 2003, Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 01/09/2003 - 14/02/2004
The Beauty of Sanctity: Masterworks from Every Age, Israel Museum, Jerusalem, Spring-Summer 2005
Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir