Photo © Israel Museum, Jerusalem, by David Harris
Hanukkah lamp inscribed with the passage "We kindle these lights . . ."
Germany
1574
Bronze, cast
H: 22.3; W: 34.4 cm
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. A. A. Hen, The Hague, Netherlands
Accession number: B48.09.0794 ; 118/350
 
 
The back panel of this early Hanukkah lamp is inscribed from side to side with the words “We kindle these lights . . .” in elaborate Ashkenazi calligraphy. The inscription ends with “Meir Halpern” – probably the name of the person who commissioned the lamp – and the Hebrew year. The top of the lamp features dragons like those that appear in medieval manuscripts. The side panels are designed to look like Gothic towers.

Publications:
Landau, Suzanne, Architecture in the Hanukkah Lamp: Architectural Forms in the Design of Hanukkah Lamps from the Collection of Hanukkah Lamps at the Israel Museum, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 1979, English / Hebrew
The Jewish World 365 Days, from the Collections of The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, Publisher: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., New York, USA, 2004

Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir