Funerary gift: bottle
Ketef Hinnom, Jerusalem
Iron Age II, late 7th – early 6th century BCE
H: 7.2 cm
Israel Antiquities Authority
Accession number: IAA 1980-1146
Burial in Judah took place mainly in rock-hewn family burial caves, which were used for several generations. The bodies were laid to rest on benches carved along the walls. When their flesh had decomposed, the bones and funerary gifts were removed to a repository pit dug in the floor of the room, leaving the benches free for the interment of new bodies.
Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir