The Corcos Wrapper (mappah) for Torah
Silk velvet, gilt silver-thread embroidery; silk brocade
The Hebrew inscription relates that the wrapper was donated in 5688 (1727/28) to the Scola Castigliana (a synagogue founded by Jews of Castilian origin) by the brothers Samuel and Isaac Corcos, in memory of their great-grandfather, Hezkiah Manoah Corcos, and their father, Manoah, and dedicated to the lives of their children.
H: 64.5; L: 240 cm
Gift of the Jewish Community of Rome
Accession number: B51.01.0158 ; 152/045
In Rome, ceremonial objects were usually part of a lavish set – called addobbamento – that included textiles and silver articles. Some items, often donated by the same family over a long period of time, were personalized with a family crest. An impressive Corcos family crest is embroidered at the center of this Torah wrapper, while smaller crests hang among the mantle’s fringes.
Fishof, Iris, ed., Jewish Art Masterpieces from The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, Hugh Lauter Levin Associates, Inc., Southport, CN, 1994, English
Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir