Photo © The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, by Avi Ganor
Torah crown decorated with pinecone
Poland
ca. 1841
Silver, engraved, cast, and pierced
Mark: silver standard
Inscribed in Hebrew: “The crown of the Torah, the crown of priesthood, the crown of royalty [M. Avot 4:13], 5601 [=1840/41]” and “This crown is being sent by us, Elazar and his wife Mindel Taltszynki to the new synagogue in Safed, in memory of our daughter Radol, and no one is permitted to sell it, even for the fulfillment of a commandment”
H: 34.7; Diam: 18.3 cm
The Stieglitz Collection was donated to the Museum with the contribution of Erica and Ludwig Jesselson, New York, to American Friends of the Israel Museum
Accession number: B86.0188 ; 146/068
 
 

Publications:
Benjamin, Chaya, The Stieglitz Collection: Masterpieces of Jewish Art, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 1987, English / Hebrew

Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir