Photo © Israel Museum, Jerusalem, by Ofrit Rozenberg Ben-Menachem
Sivlonot belt
Frankfurt, Germany
Late 17th century, buckle: before 1760
Silver, cast, engraved and pierced
L: 95; W: 5.8 cm
The Feuchtwanger Collection, purchased and donated by Baruch and Ruth Rappaport, Geneva
Accession number: HF 0079 ; 101/024
 
 
In Rabbinic literature, sivlonot refers to gifts the groom gave his wife-to-be. Among German Jews, from the 16th century on, sivlonot took the form of belts: the groom sent his bride a belt with a gold buckle; she sent him a belt with a silver buckle. The couple would then wear the belts under the huppah, sometimes attaching them by means of another belt or a chain. Sivlonot belts were often decorated with universal symbols of love, such as two intertwined hands holding a heart, or the portraits of a man and woman.

Publications:
Shachar, Isaiah, Jewish Tradition in Art: The Feuchtwanger Collection of Judaica, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 1981

Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir