Photo © Israel Museum, Jerusalem, by David Harris

ca. 1755
Carved giltwood
H: 230 cm; W: 140 cm
Gift of David Berg, New York, to American Friends of the Israel Museum, In memory of his mother Ida Berg
Accession number: B81.0974
A George II carved giltwood pier glass in the "Director" manner.
The design of this mirror is strongly influenced by Thomas Chippendale, and could well be the work of William and John Linnell, themselves leading designers and cabinet-makers. In any case, it may be safely attributed to one of the leading carvers in London due to the exceptional quality of the carving and fluidity of the execution of the design. The large central mirror plate is the original one, and it is interesting to note that when originally supplied was probably more expensive than the carved frame.

The Eighteenth Century English Dining Room, Israel Museum, Jerusalem

Digital presentation of this object was made possible by: The Ridgefield Foundation, New York, in memory of Henry J. and Erna D. Leir