First Light: Power Stations in Palestine 1920-1939March 28, 2003-October 18, 2003
Location: Palevsky Design Pavilion
Curator: Alex Ward
A celebration of the grand vision of one man, Pinhas Rutenberg, for the electrification of Palestine. Together with other noted architects of the time – including Erich Mendelsohn, Richard Kauffmann, and Alexander Baerwarld – Rutenberg created the first examples of modern architecture in the land of Israel. Israel Electric’s archive in Haifa is a treasure trove of drawings and photographs of the early power station projects, as well as of housing projects for the company’s workers. Together with drawings found in other archives, they are shown here to the public for the first time. The exhibition also places this story of an extraordinary achievement in the political, social, economic, and cultural context of the time, both inside and outside Palestine. In cooperation with Israel Electric.